Monday, January 31, 2011

First Steps

Hello Friends!

Thanks for starting to follow my blog, on the restoration of my Grandfathers beautiful 1962 wooden sail boat, the Wood Duck! I hope you will enjoy the next exciting months of boat repair and maintenance, and then be able to sail with me this spring, summer and fall! I will continue to post pictures and updates about the restoration process.

Small back story:

I have been sailing since I was 12 at camp celtic. First learning how to sail on CL14's from my councilors Gomer (Grant Coad), Bing ( x crosby),  Gamroy (Scott Hamilton), and Guppy (Geof Yates).  Lucky for me when I was 15 Gomer let me skip some of my other classes to take more sailing lessons, through Gomer and Guppy I received my first unofficial white-sail 1-3. ( I would later go on to take the official white-sail course to get my Bronze 4, and qualify for most of my Bronze 5.)

During most of my teenage sailing at camp my Dad (Evan) owned a 16' english boat- a Wayfairer, which him and sailed when we got to chance where we would bring it to the nearest lake.

Sometime during my teenage years of sailing my Grandfather (Winston Warren Weaver, yeah it's a pretty bad ass name, he has a belt with 3 w's on it!) and I would constantly talk about sailing, every visit I would make we would talk a ton about sailing. When I was around 18 my Grandpa gave me most of his sailing text books, which I continue to study to this day.

My first attempt at buying the Wood Duck from my grandfather was around 19, when I wrote him a cheque for $100, and said I would pay him $100 an month for however long it would take to fully buy the boat. He declined this offer  stating that I would bankrupt myself, not on payments to him, but just up keep on the boat ("A sailboat is just a hole in the water that we pour money into.")

My Grandfather is now 96, and is trying to settle up all his major assets, and the boat went up on the market. Through the EXTREMELY generous support of my father we are buying the boat, restoring it, and getting it on the water for the 2011 sailing season. For me seeing the Duck in the water not only gives me an amazing chance to sail all the time, further define my skills, but it will also give me a connection with my Grandfather far into the future.

To afford a hole in the water in which I pour my money takes a few very kind people: 1- My father, he is giving me a loan for the boat's upfront costs (purchasing & restoring) 2- David "Roadie" Estill who is putting up some of the capital to have it in the water this season and will of course share usage of the boat.  3. My incredible partner Shane McNutt (he best be taking my last name) who is letting me live with him in his small apartment so I can afford the rest of the boat instead of paying rent.

So there you have it, a very long-short back story. I am glad you guys can experience this journey with me, and if you want to lend a hand just let me know!!

o

No comments:

Post a Comment